Saturday, October 10, 2009

Stream of Consciousness First Impressions: Hiro's Pack Part 1

Hiro uploaded 71 songs, so it's taking me a while to get through them. Here's the first 9.

Belle and Sebastian - Act of Apostle Good choice for Belle and Sebastian song, I don't need to listen to it to love it. But thanks for reminding me of them.

Akron/Family - Everyone is Guilty I have a few cuts by them, and have heard their name everywhere, but never actually listened to them. This funky, awesome. Even if it doesn't go places, it's wonderful where it is. All sorts of wonderful grooves, building and receding. Then lyrics, and wonderful. Shit, this is insanely good! Everyone, everyone, everyone, everyone...violins, hot damn! Oooh, baby, this kind of stuff gets me metaphysically wet. Damn, that's intense, with just the drums and vocals and synth, and then the bits in. Why have I never listened to these guys before, this is amazing!!! Fucking shit Hiro much love for pushing me into them. Hahahahah, yes! It even gets better and more interlocking and wonderful, it's like I've walked into a gigantic fucking festival filled with awesome and signing and hitting things. Hitting things! This music is like hitting things in the best way possible. It's so percussive in its tonality, the sense of rhythm is just spot-on. Slow breakdown! I don't believe it! What can't you do? Fucking yesssss, amazing amazing amazing. This is one of the sexiest, most wonderful things I've ever heard. Hoooollllyyyyy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I looovvveee youuuu hiiiiirooooo. It's like music and everything. AND NOW A RESATEMENT OF FUNK WITH VIOLINS AND WHOLY WIEOTHWEOF YESSSSSS AND NOW VOCALS AND EVERYONE EVERYONE EVERYONE EVERYONE EVERYONE EVERYONE OHHH YESSSSSS I am getting this when I get home, getting it like weed gets you high. So damn beautiful. So damn...god god god god god yes yes thank you thank you thank you

Tom Vek - C-C (Set me on Fire) Interesting synthy punkish pop. Nice cyclicality to it, well done percussion. I just want to sway along to it in very many ways. Nice, nice. Good stuff.Solid solid solid.

Kasabian - Club Foot Nice resonance, sounds together. And then...punkish guitar and bass and drums and I am displeased as this is just floaty bullshit. The beat isn't enough, guys, there's art to be done. This is like the Chemical Brothers without the real focus on the beat or the songwriting talent, which is the only reason I listen to the Chemical Brothers. Ok, it's not that bad. But there's nothing special to it...wait, let me turn it up. Oh. That's better. Still not great, but it's ok.

Kasabian - Empire Ok, that's how you write a song. Real texture, really percussion. Real sounds, really drives along. Sickly! Oooh, nice tempo thing. I can get into these guys. We're all wasting awaaaayyyy. Nice riffs. I like it, I love it!

The Flaming Lips - Fight Test Don't need to listen to it, if anything.

Mando Diao - If I Don't Live Here Today, I Might Be Here Tomorrow It's pretty cool, but the guy doesn't know how to set a beat for the chorus. Still, really nice use of the violins and acoustic in creating textures. I guess the chorus isn't that bad, it does soar really cooly and stuff. Furi coory, man.

Caesars - Spirit So, are Caesars good? Let's find out. Pretty good, nicely rhythm and movement. Nice echo and feeling and noise and push. It's not really my thing. But it's cool, I guess. O-oh, drums. That's pretty nice. I like the feeling now...ok, the Caesars are pretty good. Problem solved.

Empire of the Sun - Standing on the Shore Uh uh uh holy crap, that's cool. That's cool. That's how you do it. Fuck, man. Perfect beat to it, lovely rotation about it with the guitar. It's like a breath of sun. This is lifting my heart and bringing tears to my eyes. Wow. Wow.

Fugazi - Waiting Room Lounge punk? Or whatever you'd call these guys. It just floats along. Sort of like Stroll, maybe. Well done beats, hehe. Hehe!...NOT MY THING

Hot Chip - And I was a Boy from School This is cool. Good beat...I'm a sucker for good production, but this isn't just that. Good use of rhythm...that vocal line is just perfectly harmonized and placed. Really cool, almost old and new, hard and soft at the same time. Very much in its place, and doesn't go too far, but I like the place it's in. That's just preference, not aesthetics. But it's still...I dunno. Like I said, I'm a sucker for good production, but this isn't just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment