Saturday, October 10, 2009

Stream of Consciousness First Impression: Hiro's Pack pt. 2

Black Mountain - Angels I like the way the drum compliments everything. IN its lumbering forward, its still really driven. There's not much of a spark to it, but the guitar is really good. I don't have much to say about it, sort of like Great Lake Swimmers, but then oh look a postchorus with this interesting tonality. It doesn't really fit with the rest of the song, but it's good. It's growing on me, the way it hops forward. I don't listen much to stuff like this, Oooh, synthy. Nice blusyness. It's ok.

Doves - Black and White Town Ok, this is cool. Again, me being a sucker for production, which is coming through in the piano and intro. It's not too interesting yet...I like the unfolding in the prechorus, and the way it reintroduces that whole first verse thing with that piano lick. I'll be 10 feet underground. Hey, I like it. Could be a bit punkier. If other songs that are...y'know, more interesting with all this wonderful sonic stuff and rhythm, I could be really really into these guys. Lame guitar solo, ok...eh, can't discount them too much for that. Nice breakdown, you should follow me down. That's good there, that's good. I mean, i love a lot of stuff that doesn't exactly shift amazingly, but for some reason, this touches me less.

M83 - Don't Save Us From the Flames Felt's been trying to get me into this group. I love the sound of it. Energy and feeling to it and then falling away to those vocals with that strange, mechanized piano noise. This is cool, someone 80s throwback, but that's mostly in its energy; in its approach it's modern and excited and wooooooo. After second verse, takes time to buildup, which only puts more energy into that huge sonic wall that I'm expecting and loving so much. This is awesome, this really is. I can't think of anything to change it. It's exciting and brilliant and shining and plaintive and simple and honest but still skilled and able. What a good song, damn.

Broken Social Scene - KC Accidental Soup was going on about this. Sparse and exciting, tension and texture....and holy shit nice drum hook and noise going on here, only to fade back away. That's bold. And it goes again and will they stop it again, no! Blast on through, with even more sense of direction, and then take it away for more. It's like each bit of drum-induced joy framed by the noise parts is varying. It's exciting in that way. It then gets deeper fleshing out the new territory it already went over. That's pretty damn sick, hoo dear. VOCALS! Oh man, that's pretty. Not up to par with use of strings, but still pretty good. Such a cyclicality about it, so pretty. Then more noisey, with a tint more of wisdom, maturation and more insanity in the drums and then YES with horns. That's perfect shit there, that's so damn well done. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Dammit Hiro I do love you, yes. Hoo dear

Cold War Kids - Mexican Dogs I have this record, just never plugged in. Sick polyrhythms, love the ascending line. It's bluesy, somehow, exciting exciting. I just love the groove. It doesn't really go places, but it's so good where it is. That's nice, there. Oh, it is changing about. That's even better. Second chorus gets pretty sick. Cool bridge. All around a great cut, I'd like to see them in different situations, but this is cool as it is.

Mando Diao - Never Seen the Light of Day Didn't we already have a cut by them? I love the harmonies and the energy. Really cool energy, like the cello to go along with it. I don't have a lot to say, but I like it. Good solo. It's somewhat derivative, but it just does what it does really well. I could get into this.

Elbow - The Bones of You Ok this is awesome. Lovely rhythm, great sense of putting lines together, melody is great, love the use of voice. It's hypnotic, because of all that he creates and puts together. And then awesome rockiness. And you're a thousand miles away. So cool, man! The percussion could be more complex, but that's like asking the Empire State to get taller. Love the bass, man. Such great use of lines. Great use of acoustic, the texture only gets denser, and fades out. Great shit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment