Sunday, October 11, 2009

Stream of Consciousness First Impression: Hiro's Pack pt. 3

White Rabbits - The Plot Great energy, great chords, great use of rhythm on the vocals. I feel drawn into their energy, they're good at there. Piano is a strange aspect, but it works. I was worried if the chorus / culmination of the buildup would be worthwhile, but they did a great job of it. They kept up the beat while shifting the instruments, which is the only way you can use that kind of rhythm. Going to half-time would be stupid...anyway, love the bass work, harmonies are really nice. He's not impressed! Second chorus: doesn't really change things up, but you still get a great feeling, because you recognize material from the last chorus, and then the claps, and then a sick breakdown. This is really good songwriting, but also really good thoughts on how to create a beat. It's a great cut here. He's not impressed...but she is. Great great great great great stuff.

Thurston Moore - The Shape is in a Trance Really, really beautiful chords. Very precise acoustic work. Drums are sort of an afterthought, but they do their job. Violins compliment very well...they're really arranged, not just placed there. The drums...are sort of irritating me. They're trying to act as a bridge between the opening and verse parts, but they aren't...fitting. I dunno, this is just me. Beautiful chorus. I'm...getting it now. The drums can fit, it's more of a balance issue. They do fit. It's simple in its parts, and it doesn't make any attempts to soar extra-far for the chorus parts, or really change material. But the acoustic does its work, and everything pivots around that. It's not active listening for me, but it's very pretty, and very well done. Um...electric guitar solo! Ok. That's, um...actually, not so bad, even though it's going on forever. Definitely worth another look, this man.

Empire of the Sun - Walking on a Dream Yessss, another chance to look at these guys. I was hoping that they'd be more...interesting, and not just have a great sound and great production. Great use of beat, almost disco/funk-like. Great use of voice. We are always running for the thrill of it...the chorus is really brilliant. They're not actively engaging, and in some ways they just sit back on their fantastic grooves. But that's ok! That's really ok here. They do it quite well. Nice buildup towards the end...they really are creative musicians!

The Ponys - Double Vision Punkish straight ahead alt rock, with a healthy touch of reverb. I really, really like the basslines, and not much else. It's not bad, but it's pretty derivative...it gets better, lessee. I'm getting more into it...oh, when the hihat comes in, it's pretty sick. Pretty good, but it's not my thing. I've heard crazier punk and better alt-rock.

Elbow - Fugitive Motel Sweet, more Elbow. Um, I'm liking the chords. They're well detached in terms of rhythm too...it just bleeds decrepitude and distance. The vocals work into it...I love the soft hits, over the bass and drums. But they really know how to swell, damn. Good use of harmony, great use of chords from the intro. Such tenderness to it, really. Great use of violins, both atmospherically and melodically. They help in shaping the epic scope of the chorus, which really does work! I got a bit of a chill, there. Nice bridge. Fades out nicely. Really good cut, these guys are geniuses. Um...vocal thingie at the end? Like a mixture of a harmonica and a voice. That's cool, man. That's cool.

Outkast - Atliens That's a good beat there. Uh, a bit silly use of words ("polar bear's toenails" ?), but the bass and drums is just sick. Great atmospheric stuff behind it behind these really good use of lyrics. I'm listening less to the words, and to their quality: their rhythm, when he double-tracks them, etc. I'm missing out, it's true. From what I do hear, he's a bit...wrapped up in himself. He's not really talking about anything. For rap, I really prefer more...substance, I guess (see Subtle, Nas, Tech N9ne, Cunninlynguists, etc. ) But it's not bad, by any means.

Flaming Lips - Sound of Failure Strange choice for a lips song. Not a bad song by any means, but nowhere near my favorite on At War with the Mystics. Vein of Stars was sick on record, and sick live. But this is still a really good cut. I know I love it. This reminds me, I gotta pick up Embryonic.

Ween - Transdermal Celebration I've heard Detachable Penis, and I guess that's not all of what they do. But I don't see a lot of originality. The basslines and rhythm guitar lines are really great, but I don't have much to say about this. It's not my thing. I skipped past the rest of it.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Ain't No Easy Way Nice blues acoustic. Good octaves...great use of drums to frame it. Wonderful groove, I love it. Nice chorus, that's really creative. Holy shit, and then the harmonica and extra hits, all with those acoustics going. This is fantastic, it really is. It's blues with a rock pacing, or maybe rock with a bluesy feel...either way, it's really good. Really creative and even artful, but most of all it's a great groove and great sound. It doesn't get fatiguing at all...although it is short. I really really like it.

Kasabian - Fast Ruse You sure like Kasbian, don't you Hiro. Good chords, nice texture for the opening, going into sort of ok grooves (like before). But the guitar work is really good. They really fill out the song, then add the vocals and the aaaahhhhhing. First verse is sick that way...and then why cut all that out? Why? I mean, the other parts are still good, but I don't know why you would do that. You had such great energy. But then there's a chorusy breakdown and another buildup, and it just keeps chugging on. I'm not the biggest fans of what they do...I don't think their songwriting is always that great. But they do a really good job here. Tick, tick, tock! That's energy, there. Lightning in the skyyyy. Really good groove to it. Dance and spirit to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment